George Bonsor married Kezia Gillard in 1861 and farmed for many years at Peterborough (Shellharbour) and Croome.
In 1921, their son Edwin, and daughter, Ida Ann (Annie), purchased 189 acres on Lot 6 of the Oak Flats subdivision estate and built ' Yovelton', a lovely weatherboard farmhouse. ‘Yovelton’ was named after their mother's village, Yeovilton, in Somerset, England The silo on the property was built c.1930 to store silage for feeding cattle.
Edwin died in 1947 and Ida ran the farm until 1950, and then leased it until her death in 1968 aged 81 years.
|Restoration works at 'Yovelton' August 2014.|
|Council staff inspecting restoration works at 'Yovelton' in August 2014.|
Shellharbour Images, Shellharbour City Libraries.