Ravensthorpe at Albion Park was built by Doctor Arthur Wigley Bateman in 1893 on land that was originally part of the grant to Andrew Allan named Waterloo. Dr Bateman was the first physician in the township.
Dr Bateman lived at Ravensthorpe with his wife and eleven children until his death in 1899. His surgery was on the eastern side of the house and separate to it.
Dr Bateman’s daughter Mary married John Raftery who owned the Commercial Hotel at the crossroads and the two purchased Ravensthorpe from the Batemans c.1921 where they also lived and raised their family.
|Mary and Winifred Raftery outside Ravensthorpe c.1900|
Shellharbour Images Shellharbour City Libraries.